I didn't shut the door in her face.....

Once upon a time, on a cool snowy day, as i made my way to my basement apartment from the college i noticed those ahead of me crossing the street. There appeared to be no reson for this behaviour. No reasnon until i saw the Mormons. Everyone ahead of me was avoiding the Mormons. I did not. Not that i really wanted to stop and talk, to anyone. It was just that by the time i realized what was happening it waould have been very obvious had i also crossed the street. Obvious and rude and ridiculous. Anyway, i stopped and chatted with the two Elders. They wanted to come with me and talk some more. I said they could but it would have to coincide with me making my dinner. They declined to come to my apartment, they did take my name and number and said we would continue our conversation. I waited. They never called. Ever. Bah! Nuts to you Mormons! you had your chance and you blew it.

Yesterday, there came a knock at the door. Or possibly a rining of the doorbell. It doesn't matter. Two women were at the door. Jehovah's Witnesses. Only one did any talking. I was given an invitation to the Anniversary of Jesus' Death (a.k.a. Easter) and a copy of Awake! (Seriously, the "!" is part of the title) to read. They claim they will return to hear my thoughts. i doubt it. The only person who has ever come back to my front door was someone trying to rip me off over my gas bill. I live in a high density neighbourhood that is well suited to door-to-dooring. I will be overlooked.

Back to the once upon a time. I recall wishing for an encounter with the Jehovah's Witnesses, so that i could give them the Mormon's number as my own. Or something like that. It was many years ago and i was young and angry. Oh well, the only thing i've ever bought door-to-door was a bag of oranges. I don't think i'll be buying religion. :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Now there's an idea. Get the Mormons talking to the Jevohah Witnesses. Your grandmother once invited the Mormons in, they were such clean cut fellows and it was summer and she wanted to give them a drink of water. And of course when Rita Mooney's daughter Debbie married a Mormon. Rita said that she was going to stow a thermos of tea in the car, and slip out just after the dinner to have a cup. (No stimulants allowed. But I think we did dance.)

Popular Posts