MxMo Eighty-Three: Preserves

It's time again for Mixology Monday.  Our host this time is Craig at A World Of Drinks. The theme is preserves. Here's a little blurb:

 The aim of the challenge is to go back to the days of the preserve, pick an ingredient, seasonal or not and treat it as if you won’t be seeing it again for quite some time. Syrups, sorbets, jam, shrubs and the like are all fair game, anything that will preserve the integral character of your favourite ingredient.

20140323-222951.jpgThere you have it. I must've glossed over the inclusion of syrups on my first reading as I was going to opt out. I didn't think this was really up my alley, in my wheelhouse; Within my purview etc. After some cajoling from Muse & Joel I decided to throw my hat in the ring after all. There was a brief dalliance with red pepper jelly (and a dalliance with onions) and then I spied something in the Spring 2014 issue of Food & Drink. (The seasonal magazine offered by the LCBO.) What I spied was the Blue Lavender Collins. It's construction making it more a fizz than a Collins but that was moot as blueberry-lavender jam was not in the pantry. In the pantry was Niagara peach-lavender jam! 



Niagara Fix
scant 1.0 oz peach-lavender jam
0.5 oz lemon juice

Stir with crushed ice in a small glass. Garnish with mint and with lavender blossoms. Serve with a straw.

And now a word of warning: You can't make this drink! Even if you do somehow have Dillon's Gin 22 you certainly don't have Kate's jam! But I'll bet there is a small distillery somewhere near you and that they make gin. I'll also bet someone even more near you makes jam. Hell, make your own jam!! So your drink won't be exactly like my drink. So what? Your Monday won't be exactly like my Monday but it'll still be Monday. Mixology Monday, even! 



Comments

Popular Posts